Thursday 17 January 2013

Nerves

Well hello world.... I've finally made the leap and started blogging. It's hard to believe I have been thinking about it off and on since the fall of 2009 when I attended a workshop about writing and the internet. I guess I still feel a little creeped out about putting it all out there for the world to see. Probably this is also why I have never really tried to publish anything before today. I have placed my writing in neatly labeled envelopes, complete with the SASE inside (self-addressed, stamped envelope) so an editor can send my work back more expeditiously. I have placed the neatly labeled envelope on the table, but never put a stamp on the outside. Never dropped it in the mailbox. I did manage a couple of e-mail queries, but lost steam. I'm hoping the informality of a blog will help me conquer my intense fear of failing, of working up my courage enough to write that thing which is consuming all my thoughts only to have it land with a whisper, unnoticed. Maybe I can join the millions of people online who don't seem anguished by the thought that nobody cares what they have to say. It's a leap of faith really, to speak into the multitude of voices already competing for attention. What if no one is listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment